My original post regarding my new DSLR was getting quite long-winded, so I thought I’d separate it into friendlier chunks.
I actually bought it at the beginning of April. Not sure if you noticed, but some of my previous posts’ photos were sharper and had a better shallow depth of field.
So, having used my favourite camera for about 2 weeks now, I’ve definitely both swooned over it and pondered over frustrations.
Things I Love About My Fujifilm X-A1 (in no particular order)
- It is lighter than a DSLR
- Apparently some enthusiasts say the build is cheap. I find it feels sturdy and durable
- I love the feel of the dials and buttons
- The mechanism behind the tilting LCD screen feels solid
- The “Q” button to access the quick menu!
- The flash is spring loaded and has joints. This means I can point the flash in various directions!
- The focus peaking feature is surprisingly useful!
- Same with being able to zoom in on the focus point!
- Fujifilm provides 2 years of warranty upon registering the product. My credit card company tacks on an additional year of coverage.
- The mechanism for the flap covering the battery and SD card feels durable! You close the flap, then slide a lock into place. I enjoyed this MUCH more than the typical strategy where you mash the flap into the body until it stays shut.
Things I Don’t Love
- The tilting LCD screen only moves in one axis. When I rotated my camera for portrait shots, I found this really limiting.
- According to Arjay, the mirrorless aspect means my shutter count increases more than the number of photos I actually took.
- Macro shots with the lens that came with the camera (Fujinon XC16-50mmF3.5-5.6 OIS) aren’t really that macro. (I know it’s not a macro lens. I don’t have the money for one, but I heavily adore macro shots)
- Zooming in on playback is done with a dial (the same one for changing f). As I am mindful of wear and tear, this worries me.
- Zoom ring is kind of stiff.
- The provided neck strap cuts into my neck.
Overall, I recommend it, it’s awesome!
- Arjay. (2013, April 6). X100s: Shutter count [Msg 12]. Message posted to http://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/x100s-shutter-count.8667/#post-91146